Saturday, June 07, 2008

CRUSADE No. 21 ~ Irresistible

I'm finally out of school and finished with VBS. The rest of the summer is mine to do whatever I want. I spotted the latest Street Team crusade and knew I wanted to try it. I've always liked the magic of rubbings, and Michelle's suggestion to add paint resist into the mix looked like great fun.

I grabbed the first thing that looked like it might work that was sitting near my worktable. It's a rubbing plate for kids that I got at a yard sale.The painted paper that I cut up to use was painted by my four-year-old granddaughter Madelyn yesterday. I like to use her artwork in my journal every chance I get.

Wax resist

I rubbed over the plate directly into my journal since the paper is thin. I used a gold crayon.

wax resist

I used acrylic paint over the rubbing.I liked the blue paint over the gold better than the red. The marker is one of a set that my granddaughter Madelyn picked for her treat at the Everything's a Dollar store. It has roller rubber stamps at one end. She likes crafty things.

June 6, 2008 journal

The collage bits on the finished page all came from the newspaper that Madelyn and I were painting on. I seem to be adding chunky bits to my journal lately. I'm sure it will make it harder to work on the remaining pages.

June 6, 2008 journal

15 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Oh, lucky you! I've still got one week of school left.

Love this new page and how you incorporated your granddaughter's artwork into it!

michelle ward said...

Dawn - terrific page! Love that you included that painting by your granddaughter. I also enjoyed seeing that you fearlessly did your first rubbing right in your journal and tried two different paint-overs. Thanks for sharing with the team - and enjoy your summer!!

Kim Mailhot said...

Great journal page ! A real celebration ! That rubbing plate from the yard sale was a very nice find for this crusade. Nice job, and happy vacation !
Cheers,
Kim

iHanna said...

nice page - lots of colors and patterns, I need to try this too soon! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love it when the Street Team artists show how they used the most recent Crusade in a project. It's so inspiring! Thanks for sharing your excellent ode to summer.

Dawn said...

Thanks for looking everyone. I love to use Madelyn's artwork in my journal. I have a sample of her very first mark making and a photo of her using the crayons.

Michelle, I always try stuff in my journal. For me that's a big part of what a journal is. I sometimes get some ugly pages, but that just goes with the territory.

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Don't you just love the kiddy supplies? I spend more money on Art supplies intended for children than the good stuff ... well aside from quality colored pencils. I like how you did the work directly in your journal rather than just add it in. Outstanding results!

Chris said...

Very cool. And congrats on school break!

Anonymous said...

Dawn - Have a wonderful summer! I love your resists. I have a couple I am working with right now but not liking the way they are coming out - hence, I am blog surfing to see other people's for inspiration. - Nicki

Unknown said...

Your presentation of Crusade #21 is great! Thanks for sharing! I'm amazed at all the different things to use for rubbings! I'm also pleased to see how many of us are doing art with out grand-kids!

Have a great summer and have a great hair day! Becci

Unknown said...

Just wanted to ask if you'd tell me how you got your Blogger back ground ? Becci

K Hutchinson said...

WOW the page is terrific! I love all the textures form these rubbing!

Anonymous said...

It's a perfect summer time page! Awesome colors!

Anonymous said...

I love this page! Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Aaaah summer off and heaps of time to do art stuff - how cool. Love the page, and the fact that you're passing on your art passion to your grandchild.